If I'm selling my house, do I need a closing reading?

Yes. A closing reading records the amount of water the present owner has used up to the date of closing and the amount the new owner will receive as credit towards their next bill. A closing reading also protects the new owner from any past due amounts that may be owed. The Water Department does a physical inspection of the water meter at closing to ensure that it is working properly and up to city code.

Show All Answers

1. If I have a leak on the service line feeding my building, what do I do?
2. Who's responsible for the safe keeping and maintenance of the water meter?
3. How does the City read my water meter?
4. Is there a charge for the water meter?
5. If I have a question about my water bill, who do I call?
6. If I am experiencing a problem with water in my building (rusty water, low pressure, no water, etc.), who do I call?
7. If I'm selling my house, do I need a closing reading?
8. If I'm buying a house in the City, what should I do? Do I need a closing reading?
9. What does the City do if they can't get a reading at my building?
10. What are estimated and minimum bills?
11. Where or how do I make payment for my water bill? What form of payment do they take?