Newburgh's new garbage rules aim to make our streets and sidewalks cleaner, boost our rate of recycling, save taxpayer dollars, restore civic pride, and bring us closer to becoming a "green" city. Here are the basics:
Covered Cans, Clear Bags
- Garbage must be placed into clear plastic bags, and the bags must be placed inside a metal or plastic containers with lids.
- Containers may hold a maximum of 96 gallons and may weigh a maximum of 100 pounds.
- Containers must be labeled with your street address.
Setting Out & Returning Containers
- Containers must be set out only after 5 pm the day before collection.
- Containers and uncollected materials must be returned to the rear of the property (or covered storage area) no later than 6 pm on the day of collection.
Number of Containers Is Limited
- 1- 96 gallon can or 3 cans 55 gallon can for a single-family residence
- 2- 96 gallon cans or 5-55 gallon cans for a 2 or 3-family residence
- 3- 96 gallon cans or 6-55 gallon cans for commercial properties or residences with 4 or more apartments
No Building Materials
The City does not collect building materials (lumber, brick, glass, cement block, construction debris, roofing material, etc). The property owner is responsible for disposing of these materials.
Littering, dumping trash on other people's property, and sweeping trash onto streets and sidewalks is not allowed. Pet owners must clean up after their pets.
A new team of sanitation code enforcement officers will help you to comply with the regulations. If necessary, however, they may issue tickets and order cleanups. Persistent violators will be fined and may face jail time.
Properly contained garbage is collected at the curbside throughout the City. See the following schedule:
Yard Waste / Leaf Pick Up
- Pick up is every Wednesday free of charge (unless a holiday falls on a Monday or Tuesday of that week)
- Clear plastic bags or biodegradable bags
- You must call the sanitation phone line at 845-565-1082, or the department of public works phone line at 845-565-3297 (until 2 pm) to schedule a pick-up
- Appointments should be made by Tuesday afternoon. The brush must be bagged or tied up
- Tree branches cannot be any longer than 4 feet long and 3 inches in diameter and must be tied up
Bulk Item Pick up
- Pick up is on every Wednesday (unless a holiday falls on a Monday or Tuesday of that week)
- Prepayment must be made in person, (cash or check) at the d.p.w. 88 pierces road
- Payment can be sent through the mail. Include your phone number, and once received we will schedule your pick up
Bulk Item Pricing
|$0.50||Bicycle tires (no rims and dropped off at D.P.W.)|
|$3.00||Motorcycle Tires (with/without rim and dropped off at DPW)|
|$5.00||13" - 15" Tires (with/without rim and dropped off at DPW)|
|$10||16" - 19" Tires (with/without rim and dropped off at DPW)|
|$30||20" - 24" Tires (with/without rim and dropped off at DPW)|
|$10||Nightstands, desk, bicycles, gas grill, storm doors, microwave, mattress, box springs, bed frames, rolls of carpet, kitchen chair|
|$20||TVs under 35 inches, computer monitors, washers, dryers, dishwashers, cabinets, swing sets, water heaters, dressers, sofas, chairs, tables, entertainment center|
|$30||Refrigerators, freezers, air conditioner, tvs larger than 35 inches|